Author Topic: Feedback on current update  (Read 4434 times)

imreh

Feedback on current update
« on: February 21, 2012, 04:47:16 AM »
Thanks for this recent update.

Some of the changes really are great; special thanks for fixing the decimal separation with commas in the content and the weight fields and for the populate window to allow user defined grades. Both are great help!

Also, special thanks for involving further coins from Hungary and some neighbouring countries.

That also raises a question: Is there a possibility to browse through the detailed changes (e.g. [series in the update] minus [series in the last version]), it would come helpful to track, and make sure that users do not need to browse through the entire collection to find the new series added.

Thanks a lot,
Imre

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
Re: Feedback on current update
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 01:42:01 PM »
     If you click on “Check for image updates” in the Tools menu, there’s a button there labeled “Suggest”.  When you click on that button, Exact Change will download a directory of the Exact Change image library and will display by each country the number of new images for that country.  Where there are a few new images, that may be a new image for a coin type that previously didn’t have an image.  Where there are a lot of new images, it means that the series has been extended so there was room for a lot of new images (we don’t add a series where we don’t have any coin images, that would be cheesy). 

For example, just since the last update we’ve extended Austrian paper money back to 1900 and we’ve extended Vatican coinage back through 1800 (Papal States).  So, when the next update is posted, you’ll see a bunch of new images for those two countries. 

imreh

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 02:05:41 PM »
ooohhh :D

This is not about the images!
It seems like you guys are overwhelmed on images. :)

It is just about anything you have added,... like some of the coins in the recent facelift, back in Austrian history (thanks for that! :)): no images, but the items are there.... and I am very happy about them.
The issue is that I have already added them, not knowing that You will... one day...
So, I end up browsing around finding great folders from you, which are totally identical, with what I have done previously. BUT:
the title is slightly [or very  :-[] different, because,
.... I am working based on my own mother-tongue; or it is even more different,
.... because I am working based on an other-than-KM catalogue, so my sequence and logic/grouping IS different

Can we have a downloadable logbook or something whish explains what you guys did from the last to the latest version?

STILL: This is the best coin software I have seen. :)
Cheers to all of you in Wild Man Software!

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 08:58:42 PM »
     Yes, the new images are just an indicator of what countries have changed but not a definitive list.  There are a lot of ways we could accomplish what you’re talking about (all things are possible).  We could, for example, create a log file that lists all series that are added; when an update is downloaded, Exact Change pops up with a messages that says “There are X new series, would you like to add them?” and we could log those additions to a text file.  Or, (and perhaps better) we could display a different icon to represent series which are new.  For example, instead of the slabbed coin, the series could display an icon indicating that it’s a new series.  Once you save the collection and open it next time, those “New” icons would be gone.  Would that accomplish what you’re looking for?  It’s a minor change so we’re just weighing the benefits vs. the possible confusion that it may cause some users.  Perhaps a discrete change, such as changing the color of the coin in that slab icon would provide you with the view you’re looking for while not being overly intrusive for people who aren’t looking for that.

imreh

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 02:12:04 AM »
Thanks for the answer and thanks for considering.
I think I would opt for the first option. If it would offer a list of series, which is difference between what I have and what IS available - at least for me - it would be a great help.

An example:
I have about 60 Canadian coins "by accident", e.g. I don't really collect them, but somehow came to me. If I have them, I have uploaded them on Exact Change. Just for aesthetic reasons, for the series list to look nice, I have deleted a lot commemoratives, mint sets and bullions from the Canada series, because probably I will never have them (a gold bullion will not end up in a random lot  :D). However, I have 2 Upper Canada Bank Tokens, which are not there yet. Because Canada is not my focus, I did not add them manually, just put them aside, waiting for some time, when the upgrade contains the Upper Canada coins...
In the current function, if you add a couple of new series to Canada, I will not see whether Upper Canada is there or not, so I will take my chances and download the upgrade, hoping for the best... I might be lucky and its there, hooray, after the happiness, then I need to delete the expensive Canadian coins again folder by folder.
If there would be a list (like in the countries menu) I could tick Upper Canada and untick the bullions and the like.

I hope it makes sense, or am I confused?
Thanks,
Imre