Author Topic: Would a tablet version of Exact Change be a good idea?  (Read 22565 times)

PeterT

Would a tablet version of Exact Change be a good idea?
« on: September 05, 2011, 06:26:46 PM »
Hi guys,

Just had a thought about maybe running Exact Change on a tablet PC. A windows 7 tablet should not be a problem. (Android anyone?  ;D)

Would certainly be easier to take your entire collection DB with you into dealers, coin shows etc.

I'm looking at learning Android for work and just thought that maybe porting this, with Wild mans ok of course, would be a good learning experience. The result maybe a good addition to the software line up. Just an idea.

Any comments?

Cheers
Peter

Offline boldreporter

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Would a tablet version of Exact Change be a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 06:31:11 AM »
I think it's a good idea, I'd love to have my collection portable, especially for those times I get one or two new coins and don't want to open the software just to add them. I can't imagine how big a good sized file would be though, it might be the only thing on my tablet lol

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 10:25:18 PM »
There’s really no reason you shouldn’t be able to run Exact Change on a tablet.  A phone app (iPhone and/or Android) is something we’ve mulled over for a while now.  It’s certainly possible to do but you’d want a stripped-down version for the phone, something that you could synchronize with your P.C. or Mac when you get home (with over 45,000 images, and more every day, you can’t put all of that on a phone).  On the other hand, if it were just telling you which year/mint/variety combinations you have or don’t have then that could be saved to you phone as a PDF file so you could easily tell what you need when you get to a coin show (something Exact Change already does).

AndersonJ663

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 12:56:26 PM »
I would love a tablet version, to run on android or iPad.  I would like as close to full version as possible, maybe make the image files a little smaller.  If i'm at a coin show I would like to not only be able to see what i have, but to see the image of what i have for comparison.  I'v created a web version that I have access to all my data via the web and got the entire thing compressed down to about 750 meg (using smaller photos) however this requires an internet connection, i have trouble with the internet at some of the Chicago shows from poor connection which makes it hard to sit at a table and use.