Author Topic: Undo a sort after save  (Read 5271 times)

Offline sholly

• View Profile
    • Email
Undo a sort after save
« on: September 25, 2011, 09:26:32 PM »
I did a sort and didn't like it because it's out of order by date. How do I resort to date? Date is not an option!

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
Re: Undo a sort after save
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 11:18:41 PM »
I take it you're referring to the sort order on the coins page; if that’s incorrect please let me know.  You can change the sort order by clicking on the column headers at the top of the table; click in “Year”, then “Mint”, then “Variety” to sort them in that order.  In your post, you say date is not an option.  I’m unclear as to why it’s not but is sounds like maybe you rearranged the column order for the columns in the table?  If that’s the case you should see the date column if you scroll to the right.  Also, you can move the date column back toward the left by clicking on the column header and dragging it to whatever position you’d like.  There's a demonstration of this in the video at http://www.exactchange.info/Video.htm

Offline sholly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 10:54:38 AM »
Sorry, I should have specified. I was on the Series page and sorted the Canadian Quarters after adding one. They sorted by name.

Thanks Sholly

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 10:43:04 AM »
There’s a “Sort alphabetically” menu option so that you could, for example, move countries into order if you added another country to your collection.  We hadn’t added a “Sort by date” option because a lot of series may not have a date. For example, the series “Holiday 25 cent series” doesn’t have any dates itself but it has sub-series dated 2004-2007.  We’re looking at that now though, a “Sort by date” menu option could be handy.

In the mean time, there is a way to put all the quarters back in the order they were in originally.  It’s got some more steps than a simple menu item but it’ll get your quarters back in order now…

1) Right-click on the series “25 Cents”.  In the menu that appears, click on “Copy to clipboard”.
2) Right-click on the series “25 Cents”.  In the menu that appears, click on “Delete this folder”.
3) Click on “File” in the upper left corner of the window and, in the menu that appears, click on “Add countries” and add Canadian coins.  Exact Change will recognize that most of the Canadian coins are already there so it will add only the missing quarter series.
4) Right-click on “Canada” and select “Paste from clipboard”.  This will paste all the coin entries back into your Canadian quarter series.
5) The series “25 Cents” will be at the bottom of all the Canadian coins, so hold down the shift key as you click and drag it to the proper position.  You could actually sort the series manually this way but there are so many Canadian quarter series that this would be quite a task to resort them manually.

Please make sure you have a backup of your collection file just to be safe.  It's a good idea after a change like this to save the collection to a different file name in case you wanted to go back for any reason.

That sounds complicated but it’ll actually take just a moment to do.  If this raises any questions, please give us a call and we’d be happy to assist you with this.

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 07:47:27 PM »
Update:  In the program update that is now being posted, there is a new menu option that will sort series by date.  It's right beside the "Sort subfolders alphabetically" menu option.  Thanks for the feedback.