Author Topic: % dont work in user defined grading  (Read 6508 times)

bomndk

% dont work in user defined grading
« on: March 04, 2011, 01:11:52 PM »
Hi Wildman

I have just noticed that I am not able to save % in pricing when I am using the "user defined grading".

And when I am exiting Exact Change a popup saying "Your price list have not been saved. Do you want to save your changes before exiting?" even thou I have not made any changes or all ready have saved all changes.

Just by opening the ECD file the I have sometime noticed that the File -> Save -> Save Price Data had been RED.   

Bo
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 12:36:29 AM by bomndk »

Online Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
Re: % dont work in user defined grading
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:43:49 AM »
     Can you tell us more about the user defined grade scale question?  I'm assuming that you're referring to the pricing options "Split 10%" though "Spit 90%" but I set some prices to these values on a series that was using a user defined grading scale and I couldn't find an issue.  If you can tell us a bit more we'll certainly look into it.

The price list changes are coming from the update.  We used to send price list files for each country that would just overwrite the existing price list files.  However, if you had made changes to that file then your changes would be lost when the file was overwritten.  So, as of version 4, we now send a “Price list update” file.  This file is combined with your existing price list file.  For example, in the last update we added all the U.S. 2011 coins.  When the program loads the U.S. price list, it integrates these changes, adding the 2011 coins to your existing price list.  This gives you the opportunity to accept or reject these changes rather than just overwriting your price list.  If you save the price list changes, then the “Price list update” file will be deleted (since its changes are already integrated).  If you add a new country to your collection file, you may get this message again because now the program will integrate any price list changes for the newly added country.  This is because the price list changes are integrated when a price list is loaded and a price list is loaded only when it’s needed for the current collection.

That sounds complicated, but it’s actually all automated.  The short answer is that changes may be made by you or, as in this case, may be changes that are coming from us.  I hope that helps, let me know if this leaves questions.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 12:59:51 AM by Wild Man »

bomndk

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 01:19:38 PM »
I have been doing a little debugging  :)

First my user defined grading

If I enter split % values they will be gone next time I open EC, no matter how many times I save coin data and/or price data.

No matter how many times I have saved, the moment I click on a coin series the File -> Save -> Save coin date is activated.

Right now, when I have opened EC and have done absolutely nothing else, the File -> Save -> Save price data is active.

I hope this helps.

Online Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 11:06:59 PM »
I created a user-defined grading scale which, I believe is basically like what you created.  I then put in the prices that I see in your image and put various split values in the grades where no price was listed (see the attached image).  I saved this file and reopened and the spit values that I’d entered were still there.  Is this an accurate description of what you did?  Our goal is to accurately recreate the steps that you took in order to recreate the issue.   If you could send us the collection file (the ECD file), that would enable us to test with exactly the same data.
Have you updated t version 5?  There was an issue in user-defined grading scales which was addressed in the Version 5 update.

On the second issue you said “No matter how many times I have saved, the moment I click on a coin series the File -> Save -> Save coin date is activated”  I’m guessing that it’s actually “Save price data” that’s active (red), is that right?  There’s a reason why the price list would show modifications when a file is opened.  We used to send out new price lists for each country and these files would replace the existing price list files.  That wasn’t great because you may have made changes to the price list yourself and those price list changes would be overwritten.   For example, you’ve made changes to the price list for Denmark; you don’t want to get a new price list which overwrites your changes.

The solution was what we call “Sewn in price lists”.  When we post an update we include “Price list updates” rather than price lists.  These files are just like the price list files but they have a different file extension.  When you open a collection, Exact Change will combine the price list with the price list update file, keeping your changes and just adding our changes to it.
For example, you changed the price list for Denmark and so did we.  The changes we made were included in the price list update file (Denmark.PLU) and the changes you made are included in the regular price list (Denmark.ECP).  When you open a collection file that includes any coins from Denmark, Exact Change will load in the price list for Denmark and the load the price list update file and merge it with the price list file.  This sounds complicated but it’s all actually done automatically.

Because changes to the price list have been incorporated, the price list has some changes and the “Save prices” option in the file menu will show that there are changes to be saved.  When you save the price information to disk, Exact Change will delete the price list update file since its changes have already been incorporated into the price list (so it doesn’t needlessly do the merge process every time).  If the price list file can’t be deleted (for example, we don’t have access permission from Windows to delete a file in your Program Files directory) then Exact Change won’t be able to get rid of the file.  If that’s the case then you’ll see a bunch of files with a PLU extension in the directory C:\Program Files\Exact Change\Prices.

I’ve probably managed to make this sound horribly complicated when it really isn’t.  Let me know if this helps or raises more questions and let me know about the first issue.  We’ll communicate on this until we get this all clarified.

bomndk

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 01:27:47 PM »
Hi Wild Man
Yes I am running version 5.something.
I am using win 7.

1. Yes that is what I have done also. I believe this have worked before but not now - for me that is.
    I have made changes to the price list because there have been errors in a few of the Danish coin series. I don't know if this could cause some of the problems.
    I will send you my .ECD file.

I found out that there were a Denmark.PLU file in the Prices dir. I have now changed permissions in that directory and now I am able to add the split values to the price list and the PLU file has gone.
    This problem might have been caused by my upgrading from Vista to Win 7.

2. No it is "File -> Save -> Save coin data" that gets the red arrow. And the problem is still there even after the changes I have made.

Bo

bomndk

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 01:25:48 PM »
Hi Wild Man

This is still a problem

2. No it is "File -> Save -> Save coin data" that gets the red arrow. And the problem is still there even after the changes I have made.

/Bo

Offline ollisaarinen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 10:26:44 AM »
I noticed that the .ECD -file have to be somewhere else than in exact foulder. Then split-% works. I'm not sure if this has something to do with the foulder rights, but this is the way I get it working.

Online Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 04:01:58 AM »
The arrow turned red even if there wasn't any changed waiting to be saved.  Someone called about that (perhaps that was you?).  Anyway, we did resolve is so the next update has that in place.