Author Topic: updates  (Read 7542 times)

Offline more4moore

• View Profile
updates
« on: January 01, 2011, 05:52:57 PM »
i understand that you can't give an exact date for updates. but could you give and idea.  :)
do you think you will have the hutt river province (desert storm)  in the next update. just curious

Online Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
Re: updates
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 06:35:51 PM »
   The next update is actually ready to go and we’ve been testing it for some time.  The only hang up is our web server which has to be configured to support a new feature we’ve added; the guru is working on that at this moment so I’m hoping for positive news shortly.  We typically know when an update will be ready to within a few days but this one feature has involved the efforts of four other companies.

The new release adds about 1500 images and some new countries.  Several countries have been extended to cover earlier periods.  For example, Brazil has been extended back to the late 1600’s.  We don’t, however, have any images of coins from Hutt River Province, or coins to scan.  Otherwise, I’d gladly add it.  We have an upload manager which makes it easy to upload pictures.  So, if I could persuade you to scan what Hutt River coins you have and send in images, I’d add the database.  We don’t need an image of every coin type in order to proceed, just some to get that ball rolling.  Once we have a few images to start with and the database is created, other users are more inclined to add missing images so that we can grow a respectable representation of these coins.

Offline more4moore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 05:35:13 PM »
Hey the new update is great. Thank you guys so much. Only have one problem. The version number does not change and when i open the program the next day is states there is an update available. Keeps showing ver 5.0.1.103 on the splash. Ideas?  ???
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:37:22 PM by more4moore »

Offline klaas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 06:31:46 PM »
I have the same problem. The upgrade is looping, because the version number should change to 5.0.1.104 but does not. Therefore the download starts again. The last changes are indeed really great!

Online Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 09:33:23 PM »
Thanks for point that out, the zip file has been corrected so that it will reflect a version number of 5.0.1.104 and, after the update, checking for updates again will reflect that your program is up to date.

JohnJ

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 09:33:08 PM »
Thank you for the recent update to the program. It may be that I am not seeing the series correctly but regarding Lincoln cents; It appears that the Lincoln Memorial Cent goes through 2008. Is there a reason why the 2009 and 2010 are not listed?

Online Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 10:27:40 PM »
The memorial reverse ended with the 2008 mintage. You should see two additional series, “Lincoln Bicentennial cents” (2009) and “Lincoln shield cent” (2010-).  Normally, Exact Change will automatically add new series like these when you open your collection.  However, that’s an option that can be turned on or off.  Click on “Options” under the “File” menu and look for “Auto add new coin types”.  If this option is checked, new coin types will automatically be added; if it’s not checked then they won’t.  If this option is off, you can still add the new coin types though.  Just click on “Add countries” in the “File” menu and add the United States to your collection again.  Exact Change won’t add coin types that are already included in your collection; it’ll just add any U.S. types that are missing.

JohnJ

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 07:01:32 PM »
Thank your for the explanation. Well, I think I may have messed something up. First, I did check under the file tab and the option to auto update is selected. I went back and checked that series and indeed did find the Lincoln Bicentennial Cent for which there were 4 entries. I also found a Lincoln shield cent and there was 1 entry. I think this may have been an entry I created myself. It was called 2-Roll Set P-D. Can you please advise as to what should be showing under the Bicentennial and Shield cents and if I am missing entries, is there any way for me to correct or force the updated entries? Thank you.

Online Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 02:31:15 PM »
Here’s an image of how the Lincoln cents look in the default database.  You can always force Exact Change to add new series by re-adding a country to your collection.  For example, if you add the United States to your collection (though it’s already there), Exact Change will add in any missing series but it won’t add again the series that are already there.  If you turn off “Auto add new series”, then Exact Change won’t add the new coin types as they come out but you can use this technique to add them when you choose.

Here’s another handy tool, you can tell if a series is one of your own creation or one that came with Exact Change by looking at the “Info” tab at the bottom right corner of the series page.  The info tab gives you a summary for the selected coin type (Total entries, total price, etc).  At the top it tells you what price list is used for coins from the selected series.  If that says “User”, it’s a series that you created.  If it says anything else, it’s one of the default Exact Change coin series.

JohnJ

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 05:43:36 PM »
Hi,
I wanted to take a moment to thank you for the thorough explanation regarding the Lincoln cent updates. Most would probably not mention it but let me just say that ever since I bought this program, tracking my collection has been so much easier. It used to chore trying to keep track of my coins with a spreadsheet. No longer. Now I can see exactly where my collection stands both in inventory and value. I can track multiple coins that need to be sold and adding coins to my inventory is so easy now. There was a slight learning curve and realize that this post probably even sounds cheesy but it is what it is. I'm an older guy and I always threaten my kids with the fact that one day they will have to inherit this thing I call a coin collection! Now though, they can more or less open a file and know exactly they have to split!

Thanks again and thanks for staying on top of the program updates as well.

John