Author Topic: banned from using forum on registration ?  (Read 643 times)

Offline bigzmey

• View Profile
banned from using forum on registration ?
« on: October 07, 2017, 10:21:23 AM »
Hi,
I was trying to register to use this forum using my normal Gmail account, and after getting through normal form filling, got a message that :

"Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!
Gmail accounts are not allowed in order to reduce spam.
This ban is not set to expire."

Well, I'm not one to set the rules, of course, I thought, I'll just use different e-mail account.
No way, I was getting same message !

Of course it was easy to get around - I fired VPN, got to "incognito" browser page, and registered using different e-mail.

However, it appears that's a way I now have to interact with forum ! Even though I have a legitimate registration, getting to login page is impossible without VPN, "incognito", etc

Is it possible somehow to let me through without that silly dance ?

Again, I'm NOT questioning the ban on Gmail accounts, I'm questioning - why am I not allowed in, even if I used, on the second attempt, different e-mail ?

Thank you,
Sergey

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
Re: banned from using forum on registration ?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 05:02:48 PM »
I apologize that the wording of that forum message is a bit terse; itís not the wording I would have chosen but we use Simple Machine Forum.  Anyone who wants to register using a Gmail account can do so by sending us an email at WildMan@ExactChange.Info and Iíd be happy to activate your forum account.

Offline bigzmey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 06:28:50 PM »
Hi,
I'm not complaining about message, and the fact that you're banning based on some rules, I accept it. Besides I already have account as you can see :)

All I'm asking, is be able to get to forum just following link in regular way, and not using incognito mode from under VPN.

Is it possible, or I need to keep doing it like I'm doing now ? After all, I'm legitimate user of your software, and I have questions.

Thank you
Sergey

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 10:03:57 PM »
Do I understand correctly that you can log in through the VPN but if you go to the forum link on our web site or directly to http://exactchange.info/forum and then log in using the same username and password as you used on the VPN, it tells you youíre blocked?  If my understanding is correct there, then that sounds like a cookie; we didnít create SMF but Iím quite certain that it doesnít detect the VPN.

Offline bigzmey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 08:04:47 AM »
You must be right, it seems working now after I performed some mild cleanup.

Thanks !
Sergey