Author Topic: Customizing Central Location for PRICE Data Files  (Read 572 times)

Offline enzeno

• View Profile
Customizing Central Location for PRICE Data Files
« on: September 23, 2017, 01:55:02 PM »
Hello,
I am using the same database across 2 different computers at different times, and I would like to make sure they share the same PRICE data.  I already have a central location for the coin database ECP file, but not the price data.  So whenever I change the price data country ECP files it will be only for that computer.  I am hoping this is configurable, it would seem that it would be an easy change.  I looked for .INI files to configure and searched the registry but it did not jump out at me.

Would appreciate the help!
Charlie

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
Re: Customizing Central Location for PRICE Data Files
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 05:55:44 PM »
The prices are pulled from a fixed location (\Documents\Exact Change\Prices on the PC and /Library/Application support/Exact Change/Prices on the Mac).  However, I see what you’re saying here;  it’s a good idea and one that’s easily implemented.  While we’re at it, I would do the same for the images folder and I will look at whatever other folders may make sense in this process.  If you’d like to test it out, I would welcome your feedback.  If so, just give me a call or drop me an email.

Gregg Van Oss
Gregg@ExactChange.Info
(707)987-4499

Offline enzeno

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 04:36:04 AM »
Sounds great, I would love to test it out.  Will give you a call on Monday afternoon.

The pictures make sense too as the updates would not be duplicated to the two computers.  Since the repository is configurable that should already be solved?  (Just configure the same repository directory for both computers)

My understanding is that the stock pictures are downloaded into the Program Files area, but the repository is by default in Documents\Exact Change\Repository.  The Repository is only for images that were created by the user? 

Thanks,
Charlie

Offline enzeno

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 10:00:54 AM »
Hello,

I actually found a work around for the price data file as well as everything else stored in the "Documents" Library.  I moved the library to a central location and have configured my profile to use that central networked location.  So this works for the main coin database and the price data and the repository user created images which is what I think MS had in mind for libraries from the beginning.

The only thing I think it does not solve is the built in pictures, I think those are still stored some place in Program Files\Exact Change.  Other than having to download multiple times this does not seem to be a major issue.
Thanks!
Charlie

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 02:36:14 AM »
We’re just about done with this change now; it will be in the forthcoming program update for both the Windows and Macintosh editions.  An INI (configuration) file can now be used to relocate any one of the directories used by Exact Change (Folder images, eBooks, Prices, Countries, Backups and Utilities).   Below is an example of the INI file used for this purpose.  It’s my hope that this is reasonably clear to technically savvy users who are the ones most likely to have need for this functionality.  Most of the stock INI file is just comments, handy instructions for anyone making changes to the file.  For most users, this whole feature can simply be ignored. 

[Directories]
; This ini file is used to change the location of directories used by Exact Change.
; To reroute a directory, specify the full path to the DIRECTORY THAT HOLDS the rerouted directory

; For example, don't use FOLDER IMAGES = C:\MY PICTURES\FOLDER IMAGES
; This will cause the images to load from C:\MyPictures\Folder Images\Folder Images
; Instead, use FOLDER IMAGES = C:\MY PICTURES

; Leave a line blank, erase it, or comment it out with a semicolon if you want to use the default directory.

Folder Images =
;Windows default is \Program Files\Exact Change
;Macintosh default is /Library/Application Support/Exact Change

Ebooks =
;Windows default is \Documents\Exact Change

Prices =

Countries =
;Windows default is \Program Files\Exact Change

Backups =

Reports =

Offline enzeno

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 07:34:03 AM »
This is great news, thanks!  Looking forward to trying it.
Charlie