Author Topic: Print to File "File Type"  (Read 545 times)

Offline stzengel

• View Profile
Print to File "File Type"
« on: August 13, 2017, 03:05:32 PM »
I've got a few reports that I want to generate to Excel.  I can change the "Where: " field easily in the report writer but cannot find any way to change the default file type to "XLS Data File" - it always defaults to "PDF File" regardless of what I do.  I may be missing a setting but I've scoured the manual - appreciate any help / guidance that you can provide.  Stacey

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
Re: Print to File "File Type"
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 04:33:07 PM »
On the “Reports” tab there’s a “Save” button in the lower-left corner that will save the report to a file of various types (HTML, XLS and so forth).    That will accomplish what you want in many instances but there are cases where you may want a bit more control over exact formatting.  For example, if you convert a PDF file with a lot of graphics splattered around, to an Excel spreadsheet, then the differences in those basic formats forces the conversion process to make some assumptions in order to force that data into neat rows and columns.  So, there’s another way to do it a bit more precisely.  Each report can have embedded within it specific directions for the converter which specify what fields will be included in a spreadsheet and in what order.  I know I just made that sound needlessly complicated but there is an example; the “Export coins to CSV” report is configured to do exactly what you’re talking about.  If you print that report, it will create an Excel compatible CSV file.  If that report needs to be modified a bit to include some different data or a different order, it’s a simple matter to change it to meet your specific needs and I’d be happy to assist you with that.

If you’re on the Mac edition of Exact Change, the process is slightly different.   On the Mac, there’s an “Export coins to CSV file” option in the “File” menu which performs this same functionality.

Offline stzengel

• View Profile
Re: Print to File "File Type"
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 08:09:08 PM »
Wildman - Yep, I figured out both of these alternatives, I was just trying to get the report writer to retain "XLSData" in the Generation->DefaultFileDevice parameter. PDF and Text both work like a champ, but if you put XLSData in there, when you run the report from ExactChange, it doesn't default to print to file and the Type is PDF.  Must be something with the XLSData parameter.