Author Topic: bars  (Read 3989 times)

more4moore

bars
« on: November 16, 2010, 09:28:52 PM »
Hello guys, was wandering if there was any thought on incorporating a way of tracking gold or silver bars/bricks?

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
Re: bars
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 02:52:55 PM »
Bars and rounds are a little tough to classify because there’s no limit to the themes or designs.  If you’d like to add them to your collection, I’d suggest adding a user defined series; you can add a new series in the same way that we add a series to the standard database and it’s a very simple process.

Just right-click on the series in which you want to place the new series.  For example, if you want to create a series called “Bars” and you want it to appear inside “Modern bullion coinage” then start by right clicking on “Modern bullion coinage”.  In the menu that appears, click on “Add a new series”.  Exact Change will then pop up a window were you can enter some basic information about the new series.  In this case you’d probably need to enter nothing more than the series name.  When you’re done, click “OK” and you’ll see the new series listed in the display.

A user created series works just like any of the default series, the program treats it exactly the same weather you create it or we do.  For example, the precious metal content of your items is included in your total precious metal holdings weather it’s entered into a user-defined series or a pre-defined series.

Before you can enter coins in the new series, you’ll have to enter at least one column on the price page.  Click on “Prices” at the bottom of the Exact Change window and click “Add” to add the new column.  You can enter a year, mint, variety and so forth.  I’d imagine that for bars and rounds you probably don’t want to enter a bunch of columns for different years (many bars are not dated).  Instead, you may simply want two columns in the price list with no year or mint; one would have a variety of “Silver” and the other “Gold”.

Collectors with a lot of bars may want to create multiple series, as the “Nickel” series is divided into many sub-series.  For most collectors that have bars and rounds, however, the important point is simply the precious metal contact.  For that reason, a single series with one price list entry for gold and one price list entry for silver would be all they need.

I hope that answers your question.  If you’d like further assistance I’d be happy to call you and walk you through this process.

more4moore

Re: bars
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 11:06:04 PM »
Thank you so much. Works like a charm. :)