Author Topic: Using DVD to import pictures?  (Read 533 times)

Offline eleal

• View Profile
Using DVD to import pictures?
« on: July 01, 2017, 11:01:08 AM »
Is there a way to use the DVD install to import all of the coin pictures I have not downloaded?

Also are there any plans to include Proof set images?

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
Re: Using DVD to import pictures?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 07:37:59 PM »
When installing from a DVD, you can select all the countries for which you’d like to install images.  Care should be used not to reinstall an older version that’s since be updated as moving backwards in versions can make a bit of a mess of things.  In the “Check for image updates” feature, there’s a “Suggest” button that will automatically check off those countries for which there are new images.  That’s a great way to select the images to be downloaded without downloading countries that don’t have new images since your last download.

As far as mint set images, the program uses just one image for each series; there’s just one series image of a typical Wheat Cent, for example, rather than an image for each year.  I can see a persuasive argument for subdividing the Proof Set series into smaller sub-series such as “Prestige sets”, “Quarter sets” and so forth, but you would still want similar sets grouped together.  Otherwise, you’d have to switch series to enter sets of differing dates.  For example, there’s no reason to have 1982 and 1983 sets in separate series.  I buy a silver proof set every year so we can get the images for the America the Beautiful quarters but I don’t have very many other types of proof sets laying around.  If anyone wants to send us images of various types of proof set packaging options, I would work on that.

Offline eleal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 06:00:59 PM »
Not sure that option would work for what I was trying to do. Let me try to clarify my previous question. I have the program installed from a downloaded copy (newer version) but received the DVD package and I wanted to add all the images from the DVD copy rather than download everything through the program. Would there be a way to do this or would my only option be to reinstall through the DVD?

If I did have to reinstall from DVD would I have any compatibility issues with my newer database being used on an older version?

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 07:35:00 PM »
Your DVD is not old enough that it would be an issue.  Typically, that’s not an issue; I mention it only because sometimes people will pull out a DVD that’s several years old.  I should mention here that anyone with an Exact Change license and download the latest release at any time without any charge.  It’s always a good idea to back-up your collection file and price lists (if you make a lot of changes to the price lists) but I do not anticipate that you’ll have any difficulty in you just install from the DVD to pull any images you want.

Offline eleal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 08:59:38 PM »
Thanks will give a try