Author Topic: Handling Broken Sets?  (Read 980 times)

Offline eleal

• View Profile
Handling Broken Sets?
« on: June 16, 2017, 04:56:51 PM »
Just looking for some ideas on how y'all handle broken sets?
Some of my collection was handed down to me many years ago. I have sets where a 2-coin proof only has one of the coins and other similar discrepancies.

How would you suggest entering these? Also any way to handle pricing info?

Offline andhaugh

• View Profile
Re: Handling Broken Sets?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 07:15:52 AM »
My opinion is once a mint set has been broken up then the mint set completely ceases to exist.  I would just enter the remaining coins individually under their denomination series and price as single coins.

However, if you would prefer to identify and list broken/incomplete mint sets within your inventory then my suggestion would be to create a new series folder under entire collection, name it something like "Partial Mint Sets," and then create/add each partial set as a series under that folder with notes entered of what it has or lacks.  Doing that you could create your own pricing sheet for each incomplete set and list a price based on whatever you choose.

I would not personally recommend adding a partial set under the standard software category "Mint Sets" because it becomes too complicated to track your complete vs incomplete sets, plus adds stress keeping up with manually modifying pricing downloads in the future.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 06:33:32 AM by andhaugh »

Offline eleal

• View Profile
Re: Handling Broken Sets?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 02:19:23 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I think the new series would be a good approach for me so I can notate it was a set and mark was is missing from it.