Author Topic: Custom Fields Sorting Error  (Read 386 times)

Offline eleal

• View Profile
Custom Fields Sorting Error
« on: June 15, 2017, 11:01:41 PM »
I created two custom fields but when I try to sort by that column something is not working properly.

Refer example pictures linked below:
http://imgur.com/28nq9F2
http://imgur.com/oK1Rdrv

Also is there a way to reverse sort Z->A instead of A->Z?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:03:20 PM by eleal »

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
Re: Custom Fields Sorting Error
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 08:17:02 PM »
In the last update we added user-defined fields to the table on the coins page and, after looking into your comment here, it was discovered that the table, if sorting on a user defined field, was sorting alphabetically.  Thats just fine for most types of user defined fields but, obviously, not great for numeric fields (alphabetically, 2 is greater than 11).  That update also added the similar ability to sort reports based on user-defined fields and the report engine does sort numeric user defined fields numerically but the Coin table did not.  Anyway, it has been changed and this change is included in the forthcoming update.  Thank you for pointing this out.  (oh, the image below is from after the change, not before).

We dont reverse sort but theres actually a logical reason for that.  A lot of programs will reverse the soft order if you click a column header twice.  That is, click it once and it will sort by that column and then if you click it again, itll reverse the sort order (Windows Live Mail is a good example of this).  In those cases, theyre only sorting on a single column.  Im not worried about the complexity of the sorting code, but Im somewhat concerned that it may make the sort functionality sound a lot more complicated to someone whos maybe not quite computer savvy.  It boils down to ease of use verses functionality.  Imagine the click sequence that youd need to use to specify a sort on multiple columns if a double-click reversed the order. Now, having said that, maybe Im totally wrong on that; if anyone has an opinion on it Id like to hear what you have to say.  Also, the idea of sorting the Coins table on more than three fields has been proposed; Id like to know how many people see a need or benefit for adding that to the next update.

Offline eleal

• View Profile
Re: Custom Fields Sorting Error
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 08:07:25 PM »
Thank you! Look forward to the update release.

As for the reverse sorting that does make sense as I've found no easy way to clear a sort when I mistakenly click on another column and it adds a 2nd/3rd sort. I find myself clicking 3 random columns then going back to clicking what i wanted to sort to begin with. I can see how this would exacerbate the problem if I would add reverse sorting into the situation.

One more suggestion would be allowing the formatting of custom fields. Like a 1,000 separator for readability or $ sign for values, etc.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:16:11 PM by eleal »