Author Topic: Another error identification....Please.  (Read 24428 times)

Offline newbie57

• View Profile
Another error identification....Please.
« on: June 14, 2017, 06:57:02 AM »
This one has me stumped. I have looked at various photos of error coins and been unable to correctly identify it. It looks to me like a piece of metal has been folded over around the rim with slight doubling. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
Re: Another error identification....Please.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 07:44:21 PM »
If you compare the diameter to that of a typical nickel, what do you find?

Offline newbie57

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 03:08:09 AM »
The diameter is identical to that of a regular nickel. However, it does appear to be slightly thinner than a regular nickel of the same type.

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 08:09:21 PM »
This one is a lot tougher call but my guess is that it was a die cap; a planchet that stuck to a die as opposed to your other error, a capped die, which is a coin that got stuck by a die that has a planchet stuck to it (a subtle difference in the name).  That causes metal to flow outward (like a bottle cap).  It looks like a die cap that then was struck again after releasing from the die so that the flan around the boarder was folded over during that last striking.  Or, I could be totally wrong there.

Offline newbie57

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 05:03:18 AM »
Wildman,

Thank you for responding. After reading your response, I did a little research into this and it certainly seems to make sense. Once again, you have pointed me in the proper direction. You have been a tremendous help to me and it is very much appreciated.

Offline newbie57

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 12:00:20 PM »
Wildman,

Update on the error coins.

I contacted Mr. Paul Richards about the coins. You were spot on with the cent, It is indeed a struck through die cap error. On the matter of the nickel, he was so intrigued that he contacted Mr. Mike Byers on the matter. Both men were perplexed. I then sent in more high-res scans at many different angles. Unfortunately, it has been determined to be post mint damage. It seems as though someone very carefully slipped a "wrapper" over the nickel.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 12:07:08 PM by newbie57 »

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 01:14:02 PM »
When I was a teenage dishwasher, we used to occasionally throw a nickel in the industrial garbage disposal and run it for a half hour because, I donít know, teenagers do weird stuff like that.  Anyway, it would mushroom the edge and give it an appearance much like that, except that the diameter would be reduced.  It probably didnít do wonders for the Hobart either.

If Mike Byers says itís Post-strike damage then Iím sure that must be solid info.