Author Topic: Added user defined "Pick List" field performing strangely  (Read 1366 times)

Offline andhaugh

• View Profile
Added user defined "Pick List" field performing strangely
« on: May 06, 2017, 06:46:51 AM »
I am a new user.  I decided to add a user defined field to identify Cameo, Deep Cam, etc.  My intent was this would be an optional field available to use when I wished to identify more detail about grade/condition.  I selected the user defined field type of "pick list" (named it Addt Grade) because it allowed me to create a drop down list option (Cameo, Deep Cam).  This added user defined field is working but behaving oddly:

(1) OBSERVATION-When I click on New to add a coin I notice that my new pick list field in the specific coin section is grayed out in the same manner as the existing system fields of Grade and Number.  This is not a problem because when I click on my added pick list field I can select from the 2 drop down options I created, but it is odd that my other user defined field I added is not grayed out.  I'm mentioning this only in case it relates to the real next issue.
(2) ISSUE-When I do add a new coin the system is automatically entering and displaying "-1" (minus one number) in the upper folder column of my new pick list field even though I have not entered anything in the field.  I have found that when I click on the new pick list field and then click out of the field without selecting a dropdown the "-1" disappears from the column display in the upper folder for the field.  I have a solution but it means an extra step to remove the "-1" every time I add a coin.

Have I done something wrong when I added the pick list user defined field?

Offline andhaugh

• View Profile
Re: Added user defined "Pick List" field performing strangely
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 05:17:16 AM »
Please ignore my posted question.  I now understand that the "pick" field becomes a system required field when used, so the "-1" is simply an alert that I did not complete the required field.  Thanks

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 01:13:33 PM »
None of the user-defined fields is a required field.  In fact, none of the standard fields is actually a required field though some do have a default value.  I’m unclear about this “-1” you mention, is that one of the options you specified when creating the user-defined field?  Are you using the Macintosh or Windows edition of Exact Change?

Cameo and Deep Cameo are grade modifiers, so the GM field is a good way to track them.  If you look at, for example, Proof Franklin Halves, you’ll notice that the GM field lets you specify Cameo or Deep Cameo.  The choice of grade modifiers that apply to any series is determined by what’s in the price list (look at the price list for Franklin halves and you’ll see columns for each grade modifier).  Different grade modifiers will apply to different series.  For example, “Full steps” applies only to Jefferson nickels and “Full Bell Lines” applies only to Franklin halves.  Cameo levels tend to apply to certain series (particularly Morgan Dollars and Franklin Halves) but they hardly apply to other proofs such as State Quarters (virtually every proof state quarter is deep cameo).  We don’t include non-cameo prices for state quarters because such coins may not even exist, so all the pricing for proof state quarters is based on the assumption that the coin is deep cameo.

Offline andhaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 10:48:03 AM »
Your (Exact Change) responsiveness is outstanding, and another reason I'm finding I was correct in choosing your product when I no longer wanted to use Collectors Assistant Plus which was inflexible and expensive for annual updates.  I am loving your software as I go through the learning curve.

ANSWERS/COMMENTS/QUESTIONS/ERROR MESSAGE:
(a) I am using Windows 10 and just recently purchased the Windows version of your software.

(b) I understand that when there is a data base pricing sheet everything needs to fit in a box so selection of a coin become generic to allow return of a result, and I understand that attributes such as Cameo may sometimes apply as grade modifiers to some coins and be "assumed" to exist without extra identification for other coins. That is a logical tradeoff to get the advantage of pricing data bases covering an entire collection.

(c) As a personal preference I like to identify for reports/view certain members of my coin collection as being Cameo, Deep Cameo, and even Ultra Cameo.  I know my collection, but if I get hit by a truck my kids won't  know the difference between MS68 and PR68 or know anything about cameos when they talk to a potential buyer.  As an example, I have a Bullion 2006 Buffalo $50 that is PCGS graded PF70 Ultra Cameo.  There is no software grade modifier for Ultra Cameo, and I accept/understand that it may not be common enough to show separation on a generic pricing sheet.  Therefore I like the flexibility of being able to display a field/column identifying a specific coin in my collection as Ultra Cameo in case family members ever have to sell my stuff.

(d) When go into Exact Change and I click on File, and then click on User Fields, it shows that I have a user defined field that I labelled "Addt Grade", and that field shows I have 3 dropdown options of (1) Cameo (2) Deep Cameo (3) Ultra Cameo.  I did not create, and there is no dropdown option displayed, for "-1".

(e) Anytime I click on "New" to add/create a coin my user field "Addt Grade" for that new coin automatically displays a "-1" in the upper view before I enter any additional information.  That -1 continues to display unless I click on that field "Addt Grade" and then click out of the field pretending I chose something.  When I click on "Addt Grade" it shows the 3 options listed in #d above, but I do not have to select one of those options because if I simply clicked back out of that field to any field it will remove the -1 being displayed in the column above.

(f) Is there a Maximum number of dropdown options for the user "pick" field?  I now note that when I go to File, User Fields, and then try to add a 4th dropdown option to that field I am getting an error message that says "list index out of bounds (2)".  I am now getting that same error message if I try to add a dropdown to the user "text and pick" field I am separately using for another reason.

I'm sorry this reply is so long and might be easier if I email you screen shots.  I did not see this problem on the forum so I'm guessing that as a new user I have done something (?) wrong.  Thanks for your assistance. 

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 12:17:06 PM »
There is no limit on the number of items that can be added to a drop-down box but you’ve raised a couple of questions there that are difficult for me to envision and which I can’t seem to recreate.  I’m wondering if you could email a copy of the collection file to WildMan@ExactChange.info and then I could see what you’re seeing and I’m sure there’d be a simple answer from that point. 

Offline andhaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 01:40:13 PM »
In case it goes into a spam filter folder, this is to let you know that I  have just emailed you my collection file.  Thanks for your assistance.

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 08:04:19 PM »
Thank you for sending the file; that clarified your question a lot.  There’s an email waiting in your in-box with details but basically we made two changes to address the two issues you raised and those changes will be in the update which we’re working to finalize now.