Author Topic: Download current price lists stuck  (Read 3530 times)

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
Re: Download current price lists stuck
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 05:48:10 PM »
Yes, “WuWUI.Exe” won’t show in the task manager.  What you’re looking for is a service named “WebUpdate4” and it appears on the “Services” tab of the task manager, not the “Applications” tab.  If it’s not there then that’d be the issue right there. 

Yes, there is a log file and there’s an option to turn on something called “Superlogging” which creates a vastly more detailed log.  I will add the documentation for that to the article on the web site.

Of course I’d also be happy to walk you through this; I just did a remote support session with another user about the same thing (we linked up our machines using a program called TeamViewer).  Even though we were chatting the whole time we got it up and going in about ten minutes.  That’s an option for any Exact Change user and, of course, there’s never any cost or support subscription needed.

Offline stzengel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 07:16:50 PM »
Wildman - Ok, that was the ticket once I knew what to look for and where to look for it.  Here is what I think is happening:

1-When a fresh load of ExactChange is done, I'm speculating that it turns the WebUpdate4 service on with the installation as automatic. 
2- This works for a while until ...
3- I use Advanced System Optimizer, and I'm betting there are others out there, too, that disable this service as a startup item automagically to improve startup performance. 
4-In my case, I checked the service, and it was stopped.  I set it to start automatically, and then set Advanced System Optimizer to ignore it during it's startup tuneup, and whallah - worked like a champ.

This one has been a long-standing mystery with me - thanks for the help and the tip about what to look for - I'll bet this is impacting other users, too, and the only solution that I could see ExactChange considering would be to check if the service is on - and if not - start it, before the update process - otherwise, the fix that I applied will work.

Thanks Again for the help! - Stacey

Offline heldwhat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 11:00:25 AM »
Thanks for this post!  Was in the same situation, for some reason the service had been disabled so was able to change it to automatic and start it... Updates worked like a charm afterwards.