Author Topic: Download current price lists stuck  (Read 2166 times)

Offline agundrum

• View Profile
Download current price lists stuck
« on: April 10, 2017, 07:55:52 AM »
This is the second time doing this.  The first time was on my laptop and it was stuck on "Exact Change is downloading the price list data" for hours.  It never did anything.  So rebooted the laptop.  Now Exact Change will not open up the database on the laptop.

Now I installed on a different computer.  I updated to the latest version.  Opened the database, selected update price list data.  And the same "Exact Change is downloading the price list data" has been there for about 1 hour now.

So this feels like it will be another failed attempt to update the price list data and I'll be stuck with an inoperable program????? A screenshot of what it's stuck on is attached.

Any ideas what the problem is??

Thanks.

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
Re: Download current price lists stuck
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 11:33:21 AM »
Hi,

This sounds like the download is being blocked by your firewall.  The entire process downloads slightly less than three megabytes of data so even if your internet connection is really slow, if it goes for more than a few minutes then something is clearly wrong.  Iím guessing that both of your machines are using the same firewall in all likelihood, so thatís consistent with this theory.  You mention that you updated the program to the latest version though, and thatís not consistent with this theory; the program update and price list updates are downloaded by the same mechanism so if one worked, Iíd expect the other to work.  Do I understand correctly that the program update just worked but the price list update did not?

The vast majority of download issues are due to a firewall blocking the process and it manifests itself exactly like this; basically the program keeps trying to download and the firewall keeps telling it ďNoĒ.  The solution is to configure the firewall to add an ďExceptionĒ for the download process. Itís not actually the Exact Change program that needs permission; itís the Web Update Wizard (the file C:\Windows\WuWUI.exe).

As far as not being able to open a collection on your laptop now, that suggests that, because of this download issue, there is now a corrupted price file.  We can clear that up easily by just deleting the existing price files and then we should be able to go in and download the new ones once that firewall thing is sorted out.

Iíll be in the office all day today and would be happy to walk through this with you if thatíd help.  This may sound complicated, but Iím sure we can sort it all out with one phone call if that would be more convenient for you.

Gregg Van Oss
Wild Man Software
WildMan@ExactChange.Info
(707)987-4499

Offline agundrum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 01:32:33 PM »
Yay!  I added C:\Windows\WuWUI.exe to Windows Firewall and the download happened.  Everything seems to be working. My database seems to be intact.

BTW, the reason the program was updated is because I used the direct link for the download from the email of the purchase after it did not work.

I'll contact you if I find any issue with the database.

Thanks again!
Anthony

Offline sholly

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 04:25:19 PM »
My problem is that you are not https

My computer does not like this site. I can update one item then done. I can tell the firewall anything and it won't update anymore. You need to update the web site to https.

Thank You
Sholly

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 06:44:30 PM »
Neither our web site nor the update process has any kind of log-in process; the updating of price lists is entirely a one way transfer of data.  Basically, itís just downloading and unpacking a zip file.  So, Iím unclear as to why your firewall would block that http connection or what advantage an https connection would really offer in that case.  What firewall program are we discussing here?

Offline agundrum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 07:59:00 AM »
Hello again!

I'm having an issue on the original computer when updating pricing.  The problem is I tried to add C:\Windows\WuWUI.exe but the program cannot be found anywhere on the computer.  Is there an install for this?

Thanks.

Offline agundrum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 08:19:36 AM »
After some deep digging WuWui was found...

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WuWUI.exe

This is a Windows 8.1 system.

Not sure if it works yet...

Offline agundrum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 08:49:37 AM »
Updates still not working :(  I added

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WuWUI.exe

to the allowed programs in windows firewall.  Restarted the firewall and it didn't work.  I tried copying WuWUI.exe to C:\Windows then added

C:\Windows\WuWUI.exe

to the allowed programs in windows firewall.  Restarted the firewall and that didn't work either.

:(

Not sure where to go from here.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 08:54:11 PM »
The easiest way to reinstall the Web Update Wizard is by just reinstalling the latest release of Exact Change; that install process also installs the Wizard.  If anything is still blocking the Update Wizard from downloading, we should be able to identify the issue by looking at the log file (WebUpdateSvc4.log in that same directory).  I canít tell from your forum account to whom I am writing, so if you send me an email at WildMan@ExactChange.Info or call me at (707)987-4499 Iíll get you the link you need and help you retrieve that log file if that proves to be necessary.

Offline agundrum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 06:12:05 AM »
Just installed the latest version, allowed c:\Windows\WuWui.exe through the firewall and it's working!

Thanks!

Offline stzengel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 10:00:46 AM »
Wildman - I'm having the same issue and have been trying to figure it out unsuccessfully.  I'm using BitDefender and have WuWui.Exe in my "safe list" for firewall - any help would be appreciated.  I hate having to download and install the program again just to get an update.

Thanks - Stacey

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 03:33:36 PM »
On the Exact Change web site there is a new page which covers this topic at http://www.exactchange.info/Updates.htm   There are two things that weíve found that may be blocking the update process.  Itís a bit technical but if youíre computer savvy, itís fairly quick to resolve any issue blocking the update.  If youíre less computer savvy, feel free to call; weíre always happy to talk with people and weíre usually fairly helpful.

Offline stzengel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 06:10:03 PM »
Wildman - I'm pretty computer savvy and got as far as looking at the log files for WuWui to figure out what was going on.  I do have WuWui.Exe in the exception list for the firewall and even went as far as turning the firewall off to see if it mattered (it didn't).  I'm pretty stumped and may give you a call this week to see if you have any ideas for me.  I'm using BitDefender but I'm familiar with the other AV programs out there, too - not a whole lot of difference.

Thanks - Stacey

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 08:47:56 PM »
That other thing, checking the task manager to see if the web update wizard is paused, seems like a good bet in your circumstance; did you check that?

Offline stzengel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 12:40:09 PM »
Wildman - I checked that - WuWui.exe doesn't appear in the task manager - or - if it does, not for long (it flashes by quickly).  I looks like it is aborting quickly.  I was going down the path of it not being a anti-virus issue but potentially a windows 10 security issue for creating or accessing a file, but could be wrong.  Is there a good way to get at any kind of log file that is generated by WuWui.exe to determine what is killing it?

Stacey