Author Topic: Ancient Chinese coins  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Bearthunder

• View Profile
    • Email
Ancient Chinese coins
« on: March 31, 2017, 12:20:52 PM »
I have some old coins from among others, the Chiense Song Dynasty's Yuan You period (AD 1086-1093). I can't find a place to put them under China, nor anywhere else for that matter. Anyone else have coins like this? And how do you handle ancient coins in Exact Change?

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
Re: Ancient Chinese coins
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 02:18:07 PM »
Dating those old Chinese coins is quite a challenge; a fact which causes most collectors to overlook them entirely.  Our basic rule for adding world coinage with differing calendar systems is that, before adding such coins we need to first provide the necessary tools to decrypt them.  For example, in the update posted yesterday we extended the database for Thailand backwards to include earlier coinage of Siam.  The reason we’d not included those coins before was that the Thai date converter didn’t convert dates from the CS and RS calendars.  As of this update, it does.  So, that freed us to include those earlier coins.  If we just listed coins dated (for example) 1242CS, and gave you no tool to translate that to a western date, it’d be weak.

We’ve long wanted to create a truly useful date converter for these older Chinese coins.  I’d really like to be able to add the Cash coins with the square holes; everyone seems to have at least a few of these but can’t decode them.  In order to accomplish this and make it as powerful a tool as possible, we’re going to need the input of someone who is fluent with these coins.  If that’s you, or if you know that person, please let us know.

In answer to your question though, you can create a series for these coins by right-clicking on an existing series and selecting “Add a new series” from the pop-up menu that appears.  There’s a video on our Facebook page that demonstrates all of the options available when creating a new series.