Author Topic: APPS  (Read 2410 times)

more4moore

APPS
« on: August 19, 2015, 12:36:54 PM »
Just starting a topic on the idea of an app for the iPad or android. I think it would be great for coin shows or when going to the coin store.   ;)
I did try to get the mac version to work on my iPad mini, however came to learn that mac programs are not compatible with the iPad.  :-[
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 01:57:15 PM by more4moore »

Offline khalls

• View Profile
Re: APPS
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 08:02:01 AM »
I am interested in this as well and would be willing to pay for the app as I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap to develop.  As it stands now, I print reports to PDF with whatever I'm interested in and save those to my smartphone whenever I go to a coin show.  Having my entire database in my pocket at all times would be AWESOME!
If there's already some way to do that, please let me know.

Offline Cacc

• View Profile
    • Notseen
Re: APPS
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 11:05:02 PM »
Also interested. Even with limited functionality compared to the desktop version would be handy.

The way I would use it (which will of course be different than others) would be something similar to the Series Checklist Compact report. It could have the ability to put a checkmark next to new additions that show in a different colour and then have a report of the new checkmarks so that you know what you need to add when you get back to the desktop version. Read-only in the sense that it doesn't change the main database file, but locally interactive. As mentioned by khalls, having all the haves and wants with an easy interface like the desktop version would save much time at the shows.

The way I envision it, you would see Entire Collection and all the countries under it with a Report button somewhere on the screen. Tap Report and it shows you the checklist of the entire collection. Tap a country and you then see the list of series under it. Then you again have the option to tap Report to see the checklist of the country or you can tap on a series. Etc etc.

The images is where I imagine it would get a little dicey as 9gb of images is a little much for phone storage and resources; and that is before touching on user images. Not everyone has all the images, but even just Canada alone is a few hundred megabytes. Just sending the images of the coins that are marked as have/want would not be ideal in most cases as that would be one hell of an export task each time and then you wouldn't have images of the coins that you didn't know you wanted. Having scaled down versions of the images could be done, but that means maintaining 2 sets of images which could cause problems.

The other huge hurdle would be the database. Would the user have to copy the database to the phone before stepping away from the computer? Would they have to download it from Dropbox or where ever whenever needed? Or would ExactChange have to set up a server to store a scaled down database file that can be uploaded/updated from the desktop software (or done automatically when quitting, just like saving). That just means more expenses to Wild Man Software to store and feed us that file on demand and keeping our data secure yet accessible. Would that turn into a subscription fee for the convenience?

Just some 2:00am over thinking thoughts. I would love the convenience of pulling out my phone or tablet a quick and easy reference, but also know that this is no easy undertaking. Fingers crossed for something down the road!