Author Topic: 1919 Republic of China 10 cash (wen), Y-307a, coin--folder?  (Read 21578 times)

crwert7

1919 Republic of China 10 cash (wen), Y-307a, coin--folder?
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:39:34 AM »
When I went to enter my 1919 Republic of China 10 cash (wen), Y-307a, coin into my Exact Change database, I discovered there are no folders for cash (wen) coins.  According to According to Collecting World Coins, Circulating Issues, 1901-Present, 12th Edition, there are numerous coins of this type.  (This seems to be verified by some web references.)  Apparently, 1000 cash = 1 dollar; therefore, 10 cash would equal 1 cen (fen)?

Anyway, do you agree with Collecting World Coins?  If so, will be updating the Exact Change database in the future?

Thanks a lot,

Chuck

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
Re: 1919 Republic of China 10 cash (wen), Y-307a, coin--folder?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 12:57:07 PM »
Hi,

The Chinese cash coins are dauntingly cryptic for collectors that dont read Chinese; there so many varieties from all over China.  So, in order to include these in Exact Change and claim to cover them, we need to provide a useful tool that will allow a layman to discern what a coins inscription means.  After all, these coins appear very similar except for the Chinese characters they display.  For example, before adding Israeli coins or notes, we included a date converter so that someone who is not fluent with Hebrew dates could effectively discern what they had.  In this case, were not really talking about decoding a date, but decoding the province and such.  Also, wed need to get a whole lot of images so wed need to call upon any Exact Change user that has any examples to pop them in their scanner and send us images.

I would be more than happy to add these coins.  We add to the Exact Change database virtually every day; just a week ago we posted an update of the Image library that includes an additional 5000 images.  Our goal is to continue expanding the database into increasingly rare or obscure issues and everyone with an Exact Change license has free access to the latest database at any time.  So, basically, were on-board to add any type of coin or note we can get an image of.  Now, having said that, I would like to have the input of someone with some expertise in Chinese Cash coins so that we can do these coins justice and provide a truly useful tool to decrypt them.  If you are that person, or if you know that person, then please let me know.

We are currently in the process of adding early 20th century Chinese paper money to the Exact Change database.  While these items are not as cryptic as cash coins, they are still fairly daunting to many collectors.  I believe weve managed to group them in such a fashion as to bring a great deal of clarity.  If you have any Chinese paper money issues from 1900-1949, wed really like to hear from you.