Author Topic: Image downloads  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Bearthunder

• View Profile
    • Email
Image downloads
« on: March 19, 2014, 12:46:19 PM »
Is it possible to download the complete package of images without using the update function? Using the update takes foreeeeeeeeeeeever.

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
Re: Image downloads
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 03:19:49 PM »
It does take quite a while to download the images; this is mainly due to there being approaching 50,000 of them (The download in Exact Change is actually a direct FTP connection) but here are a few things that could help out…

If you’ve got a slow internet connection then send me an email and I can send you a DVD set.  Since we have no recurring fees, no annual fees and no charge for updates, we can’t send DVDs out every time an image is added but I’d rather send you a DVD than have you struggle with trying to pull 7GB of picture data through a dial-up connection :)

You can download the countries that are of the most interest to you and then download other countries at any time.  There’s no time limit on downloading images (any licensed user can download images any time at no charge) so you should not feel like you need to download every country right away; by the time you get to needing some obscure country, there may well be more images for that country anyway.

The “Suggest” button on the image downloader will actually compare the images you’ve downloaded with the number of available images on the web server and automatically check off the countries that have images you have not downloaded.  So, what a lot of people do is download images at night or when they’re away and use the “Suggest” button each time so they don’t have to track what they have and have not downloaded.