Author Topic: Hand Entered Prices Disappeared  (Read 3731 times)

Offline meksmk

• View Profile
    • Email
Hand Entered Prices Disappeared
« on: November 22, 2013, 09:47:47 PM »
I'm new to the program and have a question.  I've started to putting in coins.  I was entering price information for some coins.  However, when I installed the update today, I lost all those entries.  I know that you update pricing information every few months.  But when you do the update, do you overwrite all the price information for all coins?  Even the manually entered ones?  If so, how can I have it that it doesn't?  I see you can save price information.  But if I do that, then update the program and then somehow restore the old values I'll loose the updates to some of the coins that you provided.  I'm in a quandary.

Thanks,

Mike

Offline meksmk

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hand Entered Prices Disappeared
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 08:43:35 AM »
Ok.  I'll sweeten the pot a little since there have been reads but no responses for this newbie.

I know that you can put in a Buy Price and lock it which will "solve" my problem in some sense.  But that causes the realized gain (or loss - yes want has gotten the best of me at times so I have over paid...) to be off.  I might have paid $1 and it's worth $3.  But by locking the price at the value, you get a $3 gain on reports and on the side bar summary for the series when in reality it really is only $2.

There are values for some coins and grades according to NumisMedia for example that are not represented in the delivered values.  I want a reasonable approximation of value for the collection and not a placeholder that says "melt value" or "face value."

One reason I liked the program was I could put in a price on the pricing tab and it would apply to all the coins for that series and that grade.  And with over 4,000 coins (and growing), that's no small win for me!

I've looked at the manual.  I've searched the forum and there are some similar type questions that nibble around the edges.  But not that directly address my question about the pricing tab and "locking" it to the values I want.  Maybe that's the answer.  Have a way to "lock" the values for the pricing tab or series or that particular coin so updates don't overwrite it.

Maybe I'm off base.  Maybe I'm missing something.  Any help will be appreciated!

Mike

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 10:27:48 PM »
You can use the buy lock or sell lock to lock a value, or you can click on the Pricing page to plug in a value if thereís not one there already.  You may want to use the buy and sell locks if, for example, you found a quarter with a mint error.  In that case, youíve effectively purchased it for 25 cents and the book value for a quarter of that date may be 50 cents (for example) but because itís a mint error, itís worth, say, ten bucks.  In that case you could enter 25 cents as the purchase price and 10 dollars as the sell price and then lock the sell price.  The book value for a non-error example of that same date would then have no relevance.

If you enter a price on the prices page, there an advantage in that that price will apply to any other coins you enter.   As far as prices that you have entered, I would need to get a bit more background there.  If youíd like to call, I think we could get to the bottom of that a lot quicker.  The number here is (707)987-4499 or drop me an email and Iíll call on my dime.    Once of the changes weíre working on now is dividing the price updates from the program update in the same way that image updates are selectable separately from the program updates.  This will make the price list updating much clearer while also making it possible for people who send in images on new coin types to see those coin types without having to wait from the next program update.

Anyway, as I say there, give us a call and letís chat about the price list update so we can sort that out quickly.

Offline flintlock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 04:25:28 AM »
It seems like I've had the same issues. Prices entered then the information gets changed. I'm interested in the fix. Thanks.

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 02:17:48 PM »
OK, it took a bit but itís dawned on me what youíre describing.  Please give me a call or drop me an email and we can square that away in just a couple of minutes.  I will be around through the holiday so call any time.  (707)987-4499

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 02:54:12 PM »
Thanks for the call.  If you have any other questions, donít hesitate to call any time.