Author Topic: Reports Press  (Read 4427 times)

collinsg

Reports Press
« on: June 14, 2013, 06:58:51 PM »
Is there a way to use more than one Data Pipeline for a report? I would like a pick from Folders as well as from Coins.

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
Re: Reports Press
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 07:30:34 PM »
The Mac and Windows report editors are significantly different (the Mac had no native report editor so we had to write it completely from scratch).  So, I’d need to know which you’re using to fully answer your question.  Also, it may be helpful to know what is the end goal you’re seeking; you may not need that level of complexity.  If you use the coins data, then most of the data from the folders pipeline is included in the coins data anyway.  For any given coin, there are data fields to tell you all about the folder that that coin is in.  Yes, what you’re asking can be done but if you can tell me more about what you’d like to do then I’d be happy to assist you to that end and perhaps I could send you a draft of whatever you describe.

collinsg

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 08:12:38 PM »
I'm using the Windows version. What I'm looking to do is add the Folder name as a title for groups of coins, however in the Coins Data Tree all I can find is the Parent folder list and this gives too much info, including the actual name of the coin which is already in my list below. I have also tried Face Value, which is where my other question arises, but there is no Face Value for our 2 dollar coins.

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 01:07:51 AM »
   It sounds like the data field you’re looking for is “Coin Name” which is the name of the series in which the current coin is located.  That field will include something like “Jefferson Nickel” or “Wheat Cent”.   You may want to open an existing report like the Collection List, which sounds like it’s fairly close to what you’re wanting to do (a good start anyway).  If you start with a prefab report, you can make any changes you’d like and then save it with a new name, rather than starting completely from scratch.

Data for the Collection List is sorted by "Series order” (If you click on “Filter data” in the “Parameters” menu, you can set the sort order).  That’s a helpful little trick because it goes through all the coins in the order in which they’re listed on the series editor in Exact Change.   All the coins in each folder will be grouped listed sequentially and those series will be in the order you’d expect.

By using the coins data rather than folder data, the report will list only those folders in which you have coins.  So, for example, if you have Indian cents and Buffalo nickels in your collection, then the report will include those two coin types but not all the coin types in-between them like Wheat cents and such.  For some reports, you may want to list each series, regardless of whether you have a coin in that series; the “Series Checklist” report is a good example of that.  In that case, you would use the Folders pipeline instead of the Coins pipeline.

collinsg

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 04:28:18 AM »
I'm using Coin name for each coin, I'm looking for titles such as Dimes, Nickels, quarters, etc. to separate each type of coin, since I have about 12 pages of coins in my Need Report

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 01:14:04 PM »
Ok, I see what you’re after and, yes, that is doable.  There’s one minor issue about which you will need to make a couple decisions though.
If we look at something like Buffalo nickels, it’s organized like this:

Entire Collection\United States\Nickels\Buffalo nickel

So, you’re looking, not for the name of the series that the coin is in, but the name of the series that that series is in; you’d like to back up one series and grab that name.  However, if you look at something like Lincoln Bicentennial cents, it’s organized like this:

Entire Collection\United States\Cents\Small cents\Lincoln cent\Lincoln Bicentennial cents

There, backing up one directory would give you “Lincoln cent” when, I believe, what you want is just “Cents”.  So, perhaps it would be better to say “Let’s grab the third level”, which would give you “Nickels” for Buffalo nickels and “Cents” for any type of cent.  If that works for you then I’ll send you a report that includes a data field with that 3rd-teir name.  The report press doesn’t include a field that strips out just the 3rd tier but the “Calc” tab lets us add the logic to generate that.

There is a field named “Country” that shows the name of the 2nd tier folder.  Even that may not always provide the country name because users can rearrange the series editor as they wish; a Morgan dollar enthusiast may decide to move Morgan dollars to be right below “Entire collection” so that it’s as prominent as any country.  That’s not a big deal because you could just choose not to do something like that if it negatively impacts the way your report shows it.  The reason I mention this, though, is that it shows why we don’t have a data field already that strips out that 3rd tier, a data field named “Denomination”.  On a lot of world coins, the denomination may be the 4th, 5th or even 6th tier.  In coinage of the German States, the 3rd tier is the name of some micro-kingdom and the denomination is a couple tiers below that.

Maybe you collect only U.S. coinage and don’t really care about that detail, in which case, just email me and I’ll reply back with a report attached that has a field added for that 3rd tier.  If we need to apply further logic to determine which tier you want then we can do that as well; the report editor is extremely flexible and can handle whatever rule we come up with there.