Author Topic: Wish List - Updated  (Read 3923 times)

Jim88

Wish List - Updated
« on: May 03, 2013, 09:02:34 PM »
I have been working with Exact Change this weekend and have been thinking of some things that could make this awesome program even better.   I always have a lot of ideas some good, some not so good but here goes.

I would like to have a grading assistant.  At least for U.S. coins.  Would be willing to pay extra for it.  

Would like to have all my coins including my world coins value updated automatically.  Also would be willing to pay extra for it within reason.

I would like a place for a certification number to be added and then a drop down box like the grading one and click on the certification number and it opens a new window with the results from the grading company.

An Android app that shows the inventory of all of my coins and eventually will be able to communicate 2 ways with EC.  

When we enter values for bullion coins it would be very handy if we could put a variable field, BV for bullion value or BV + (10%) so the values would automatically update when we update our bullion values.  I know some bullion coins use this method for valuing also.  

I would also like to see purity, weight and assayed weight fields listed with the minted weight as the default.  Then if we wanted to put in the actual weight of the coin EC would multiply by the weight by the purity to calculate the assayed weight to 5 decimal places.  For example if the coin is 90% silver and it weighed 13 grams when minted it's assayed weight on Exact Change is .37610.  If the coin's actual weight is 12.5 it's assayed weight should be .36170.  

Anyway, something to think about.

Jim

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 04:17:23 PM by Jim88 »

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
Re: Wish List - Updated
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:16:31 PM »
Both PCGS and the ANA have terrific guild for grading coins; Photograde is another extremely helpful book.   Thereís information about them at http://www.exactchange.info/Books_page.htm.  While the price fluctuates at Amazon, Iíve seen them as low as a few bucks.  This information is static; itís something you reference without adding data.  If you add the coins in your collection to Exact Change, the program will calculate values, silver content and so forth.  But grading information doesnít change to reflect whatís in your collection so a book is really a better offer.  While one of our competitors sells a grading assistant for around $50, this information can just as easily (and more portably) be pulled from a $3 book.  Now, you may want to have that right in front of you as you enter coins into Exact Change.  If so, you can just copy the electronic (PDF) version of any of these books into your Exact Change directory and then Exact Change will display that information on the eBook tab.  This gives you the definitive word on coin grading, integrated into Exact Change, for just a few bucks.   To sell an ďAdd onĒ tool for grading would be, in many ways, doing you a disservice.  PCGS offers a free Android application for grading as well.

As far as World Coin pricing, I would encourage you to share your thoughts with Krause Publications (Numismatic News).  I have spoken to them in that regard but if you chose to discuss that desire with them it could encourage that process (I mean just an email, not a letter to the editor of NN).

Your comment about bullion value is a good one.  We do some have some prices listed as ďMeltĒ value (the same thing); lower-grade Franklin halves are one example that comes to mind.  I do like the idea of adding some Melt+ values.  Iím thinking Melt,  Melt+5% and Melt+10%.  I think that should suffice but if anyone has any thoughts on that, please share them.

In regard to the assayed weight, Iím not entirely clear about where the figure  .37610 is coming from but the Exact Change database includes Actual Silver Weight (or gold, platinum or palladium) as well as weight (the total weight of the coin).  From these two numbers, the program automatically calculates purity and melt value.  You can see this information displayed on the Stats tab to the right of the series editor.  For example, if you add a Morgan dollar to your collection, Exact Change knows that that coins weighs 26.73 grams and contains.7736 ounce silver.  So it calculates that that coin is 90% pure and it calculates the melt value as (.7736 X silver spot price).  The Stats tab shows totals for all the coins within the selected series which is handy; metal refiners will ding you with a lower price/ounce if the purity falls below a given amount.   Anyway, I really like additional data, especially data that can be calculated from existing data, so if thereís a calculation there that could be added, please let me know.

Jim88

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 03:07:48 AM »
I just want to say your software is beyond equal and my suggestions are in no way meant as criticism.   

I will take your advise and pickup the book Photograde.  Iíll also check out the PCGS and ANA websites. 

If you do add melt values it might be easier for people to pick their own percentage to add if you can make it a variable amount.

What you call Actual Silver Weight I was calling assayed weight.  I got the figure .37610 by taking the 13 grams and dividing it by 31.1034768 to convert it to troy ounces.   Then multiplying it by .90 to get the assayed weight. 

I was suggesting you use a constant for the purity, in this example 90%. Then you have the minted weight of the coin displayed in this example 13 grams and showing a silver content of .37610. But lets assume this example coin is worn and it only weighs 12.5 grams.  When the user enters 12.5 grams in the weight field the actual silver weight changes to .36170.  Actually it would be better to have the weight field be 2 decimal places so the user could enter 12.55 grams and it would display .36314 ozt of silver.

So you end up seeing a few new fields.  Weight in grams, purity and ounces troy of metal in coin.

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 04:11:34 AM »
The forthcoming update now includes melt+ values.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Did you check the ďStatsĒ tab, it has the fineness, content (ASW), weight and so forth of the selected series.  That information is also available to any report.

Jim88

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 05:27:08 PM »
Thats great news Wild Man.  Are the melt values going to allow the user to put in a percentage to add to the melt value?
I use the stats all the time, thanks.

Offline cbaytech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 06:25:13 PM »
New to the forum and Exact Change so please forgive if my questions/suggestions are dealt with already. I have not had a chance to view all of the posts responses yet. I am really impressed with the program but agree with Jim88's suggestions. I will read WM response soon. Two things I noticed right away and perhaps it is just being unfamiliar with the program....but....

I find myself using PCGS PhotoGrade Online to get a range of where my coin might grade out. Some of the grades provide on the PCGS site are not a choice in Exact Change. Is this something I can modify to add additional grades? The only thing I have found is "User defined Grade Scales" but this looks a relation between a term I want to use as it relates to existing grades within the program. For instance I have a coin I would like to grade at VF-35 IAW PCGS PhotoGrade Online. I currently have to bump it down a grade (or up) and I am afraid if I decide to sell my info will not be accurate.

Lastly (for now), and I think this ties into someone else's suggestion. I purchased a digital microscope that will take pictures and upload to PC, This will be a tremendous aid in grading and posting images of the coin. An easy way to tie it into the EC listing would be wonderful.

Best regards,

Michael
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 09:09:21 PM by cbaytech »