Author Topic: Import Templates / Keys  (Read 4396 times)

isali

Import Templates / Keys
« on: February 26, 2013, 02:15:42 AM »
Good Morning Wildman,

Thanks for all your help in the past with the program.

I am importing a number of coins and I had the followwing questions: 

Do you have a list of the series numbers, similar to the grade key in an earlier import post (to save me the troule of looking up each type) ?

Are there an rules about the naming of User defined fields.

In the case where a user bought a collection from and wanted to add it to Exact change:

If I have an existing file, can I add to it via import?

If not, can I "round trip" the data:  download my existing  collection, adding a custom fields as nesc (ie source (Source would be "Collection B so I could keep the original purchase location))

Thanks

Ira

isali

Re: Import Templates / Keys
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 02:17:36 AM »
One other question: can I add custom grades (if a coin is raw, my method has een to grade it with the name but no numer (ie Very Fine vs VF30)

Ira

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 03:13:34 AM »
If you click on the “Info” tab on the right side of the series editor, the series number is displayed.  Then, you can click on any series to see the series number.    This is a really easy way to do it because you can tell what coin the series number refers to whereas a simple list can leave some ambiguity.

You can name the user fields with whatever name suits you; there are no rules about what names can be used.

When you import a collection file, its contents are added to whatever collection file you have open at the time.  If you’d like to just add the new coins to your collection then just import the file while your collection is open.  If you wanted them to be in a separate collection file for whatever reason, then you could start a new collection and import the new coins into that empty collection.

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 03:24:57 AM »
The user-defined grade scales can be used to create whatever type of grade scales you’d like.   You can simply rename the grade names so that VF-30 becomes “Very fine” or you may want to create a simplified grading scale so that coins are entered as just BU, Unc, Uncirculated and Circulated or something similar to that.  Each series can be assigned to a particular grade scale so, for example, you may use a simplified scale for entering world coins and the regular Sheldon Scale for entering U.S. coinage.  You find user-defined grade scales in the File menu at the top of the Exact Change window.

isali

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 02:39:10 AM »
Thanks

I wound uop getting the coin type numbers as you recommended, it worked well.

I am getting an error in parsing now, 

I also had a questions about adding user fields,  Should they be on the import ECI in the same order I add them and that they show up on the coin detail page?

Is there a way to have them show up in the table section at the top of the detail page (once entered,  rather then just as fields in the form section of the detail page?

Thanks

Ira

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 03:48:42 AM »
If you’re having trouble with the ECI file, feel free to email a copy to us and we’d be happy to check it.  The most common issue with any type of comma delimited file is the use of quote marks.  For example, any text with a space must have quotes around it.  Anyway, if you send it to use we should able to identify any formatting issues that appear.

Yes, the user fields should be listed in the order in which they appear on the window where you add user-defined fields.  That is, they should be added in the ECI file in the same order in which they were added to your collection file.

Displaying the user-defined fields in the table on the coins page is something we’re working on; it’s a new modification that’s in the works.