Author Topic: Circulated and uncirculated grades  (Read 3734 times)

thuskey

Circulated and uncirculated grades
« on: February 18, 2013, 03:54:10 PM »
I have a lot of coins I would like to enter in quickly without actually grading them.  I was wondering if it would be possible to have a grade of circulated and uncirculated which would have average value of the coins circulated values (or uncirculated values).  In other words, I have a folder of circulated Jefferson Nickels which I would like to enter without grading each coin, I would like to just enter the grade as circulated and get a value of the average circulated value.

Offline Wild Man

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Exact Change software for coin and currency collectors
    • Email
Re: Circulated and uncirculated grades
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:47:44 PM »
Averaging the value of all circulated grades may be somewhat misleading because the value can range drastically from g-4 to AU-58.  Also, the addition or subtraction of a grade tier would impact the value for that coin even if the coin’s grade was significantly different; the G-4 value of a coin doesn’t necessary tell us anything about its value in higher grades.

I understand that you’d like to add a bunch of coins without getting too bogged down with the task of determining of a given coin is Au-53 or AU-55.  I think a better way to accomplish your goal would be to implement a user-defined grade scale.  This allows you to simplify the grade structure.  For example, you may want to just grade your Jefferson nickels as “BU”, “Unc”, “Circulated” and “Worn” (or whatever adjectives you want).  You could even restrict the grades as just “Unused” and “Used”.

User-defined grade scales are covered in the manual starting on page 36. If you don’t have a printed copy of the manual, it’s available at http://www.exactchange.info/Manual.htm.  If you have questions about this, just let us know and we’ll be happy address them.

thuskey

Re: Circulated and uncirculated grades
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 04:42:41 PM »
Hi, thanks for the quick response, if I make grades per the manual, Junk BU etc will it value the coins at the associate value on the sheldon scale?